One of my favorite appetizers at any Japanese Sushi restaurant has got to be the dynamite baked mussels. I’ve played with the recipe for a few years, and it just keeps getting better and better. Now, I know there are a lot more simpler recipes out there, but what fun is that? Below, I’ve shared what I have come up with to date. The amount of each ingredient still needs some tweaking here and there, but overall, I’m pretty satisfied with it so far! And, it really doesn’t take much longer to make than the simpler recipes. You can also make a larger batch of the dynamite sauce and put it into one of those squeeze bottles for on the whim creations!
Recipe Type: Appetizer | Difficulty: Easy to intermediate
- 12-15 Mussels (Half Shell)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Japanese Mayonnaise (Kewpie)
- Sriracha (As much as you like)
- 1 tsp Mirin
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice (Fresh is Best)
- 1 tbsp Smelt Roe (Masago)
- Green Onions (Finely Chopped)
- Lemon Zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350* or medium heat on broil
- Dynamite Sauce:Mix Mayo, Sriracha, Mirin, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Ginger and Roe together. I like to use a garlic press for the ginger and garlic, you get all the juices into the mix as well.
- Clean Mussel and separate from shell. Place back into shell. Optionally you can cut the mussel into 2-3 pieces and place back into shell for easier eating.
- Place mussel into baking sheet lined with foil.
- Spoon dynamite sauce over each mussel, just enough to cover the mussel itself.
- Sprinkle as much panko over each mussel to your liking. This gives it a nice crisp crunch.
- Broil in oven roughly for 10 min or until lightly browned and bubbly. Keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
- Lightly sprinkle green onions, lemon zest, and masago.
- Serve while hot!
Now this can be eaten as an appetizer or if you make enough, as a main dish. Cook up some Japanese Somen Noodles or some rice and you’re good to go. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to share your experience or write a review in the comments! Also, use the links below to share with your friends and family! Happy eating!